We trim each handkerchief carefully around the edge, then machine each edge separately using the rolled hem foot. It’s pretty fiddly! We use black or white thread, whichever we think works best, or what you have told us you prefer.
Please note that with silk there can be some distortion along the non-selvedge edges, which we do our best to minimise.
We trim the silk scarf carefully around the border, then machine hem the edges using a rolled hem foot, using either black or white thread depending on what we think works best, or what you specify you prefer.
More cushions to demonstrate our new cushion backing fabrics; black velvet fabric backing will be modelled by a cushion next week.
I love digital fabric printing. It is so quick! You can have however many colours you want! You can make your design as complex as you want! You can print your sewing shapes along with your decorative pattern! It’s genius. And I have had a lot of fun today designing a top, printing it, and sewing it together, in a matter of hours. This is what I did:
- I did a search on google for images for a simple top. I just wanted a basic outline that I could fill in with my own pattern design. I found a very basic, simple, image, and I cut and pasted it into Photoshop.
- I cleaned up the image a bit. This included copying the half a front and half a back so that I had a whole front and a whole back – I will be printing the entire piece, not cutting out on a fold as this pattern intended.
- I looked at what was the widest point of the outline, and measured my own width at that point. Then I scaled up the image so that it was a couple of centimetres bigger at the widest part than I myself measure at that point: a couple of centimetres for the seam allowance.
- Next I made a pattern design. I wanted to do a design that started to use the particular capabilities of digital printing, which I think I achieved to some degree. Designing the pattern took a LONG time, even though I based it on the “Nesting Girls” motif that I have worked on before.
- Next, using the Photoshop paint bucket, I filled the inner of my sewing pattern shapes with my new pattern design.
- Actually, then I did some more fiddling with the design, to add bits that weren’t just repeated all over, because you can do that with digital printing. I added flames at the neckline and a fur print around the bottom.
- I printed the fabric. I needed 70cm of 110cm wide fabric for my design; I used cotton sheeting because it was new and I wanted to try it out.
- I cut out the pattern shapes.
- I sewed the darts for the bust and the darts for the back.
- I pinned the two pieces together and tried it on. The neck was WAY too small, so I had a lot of fun snipping away at it until it was right.
- I traced the neckline onto a spare piece of fabric and cut out that shape. I pinned the right side of that onto the right side of the neckline, and sewed them together around the edge. I turned the fabric the right side out again, pressed the neckline, and top stitched around the edge. I thought of the Great British Sewing Bee very much as I did that bit!
- I sewed the back neck with a rolled hem, using the machine rolled hem foot.
- I pinned the two pieces together and sewed the side seams and the shoulder seams.
- With the rolled hem foot I sewed a rolled hem around the armholes.
- With the rolled hem foot I sewed a rolled hem around the bottom edge of the top.
- I pressed the bottom edge of the top in, and then top stitched from the right side, all around the bottom edge.
That’s it! It WAS sort of easy, and I am now looking forward to taking on more digitally printed sewing projects which specifically use the awesome capabilities of digital fabric printing!